Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I remember Grandma

I remember she always had cinnamon sticks at her house that she used to stir her hot tea and sometimes her coffee.

I remember she loved Brach's bridge mix.

I remember the first time she met Isabel. She said "oh meija I knew she was beautiful but I had no idea she would be this beautiful"

I remember the places she and my gpa would take us, ..Irwindale Dam, Griffith Observatory, Forest Lawn (yup they took my brother and I there and there was quite a bit to see), train museums, Clifton's restaurant, petting zoos, La Brea Tarpits, the rose parade.

I remember at my wedding I was soo close to crying, Moe could see my lip quivering and than I heard my gma telling my gpa where to stand to take the pictures and them just yelling back and forth at each other and the priest trying to get them to be quiet but oh how it made me laugh.

I remember her wind up cameras. She always had a couple of those disposable wind up cameras and at family get togethers she would hand them to one of us and tell us to take a picture of so and so.

I remember her teaching me how to sew little pillows in the back room.

I remember she loved fruit delights and feeling so grown up the first time she let me have a couple pieces.

I remember her making us blocks out of milk cartons and contact paper (which my mom now does for Isabel and Joaquin)

I remember her movie room with star war cutouts and princess dolls and godfather posters.

I remember waking up at her their house one morning to have my gma greet me by slapping my arm and telling me "Don't ever do that to me again!" Apparently I had walked in my sleep that night and freak her out. She had heard you aren't suppose to wake a sleepwalker and she couldn't figure how she was going to get me back into the tall bed considering at this point I was already taller than her. And how she got so upset when I told her all she had to do was tell me it was time for bed and I would of gone straight back to bed.

I remember her telling all of us that we just had to watch the movie "Fargo" cause it was soo cute and my mom's face when the first scene of fargo was a guy being shot and her saying "what is gma having us watch??!!!"

I remember the stories she use to tell us about her childhood. How she was the annoying little sister and her sister Alis would tell her to walk at least 10ft behind them. How one day she decided she wanted a window in her room so her dad came home to find her attacking the wall with a hammer and he started to yell and than just said oh ok and built her a window. How she was one of the first girls in her neighborhood to wear pants, how she would make her own clothes. She told me that she was cutting holes in her clothes long before they were sold in the stores like that.

I remember this picture frame they had at their house, it was one of those book frames. One side had a pic of my gpa when he was in the navy and the other side had a pic of gma from her 20's. When I was younger I just couldn't believe that the lady in the picture was my gma. And now it's Isabel's turn to do the same thing with my mom. And than I remember looking at the pictures when I was older thinking how handsome my gpa was and beautiful my gma was.

I remember spending the night at my grandparents house when we were kids. The first thing we would do is my gma would take us to the grocery store. And we would get to pick out our cereal. If we were staying for a whole week we would each get to pick our own. My brother would get honeycombs or golden graham, my sister would get captain crunch or whichever cereal had the newest character on it. I would be the freak and get grapenuts or something along those lines. If we were only staying for the weekend the 3 of us would have to agree on one. Usually captain crunch with crunch berries.
After the grocery store we would take a trip to tower records and we each would get to pick out a video to rent. My gma was a huge movie buff so she would wander the store looking for the latest thriller. One the way home us kids would argue about who's video we would get to see first.
Next would be a stop at the Mexican bakery for pan dulce. Than back to their house for dinner and movies. The next day would be whatever field trip they had planned for us.
When I got older my gma and I would stay up late and just talk about everything and nothing.

and I'll always remember how very lucky I am to have had my grandma in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very beautiful post.

I am so sorry you lost her :(
May she rest in peace.