Saturday morning we dropped the kids off at Moe's folks and headed down to SD.
Since the race was in downtown SD we spent the night at Latanya's and Ken's place. We found the perfect parking spot (another reason we wanted to get down there early) unloaded the car, said a quick Hi to Latanya who was getting ready to go to work. Then we headed out to walk to the San Diego Convention center where the Health & Fitness Expo was being held.
First thing was picking up our bibs, race shirts and swag bag. My bib says LoveHealsGage. We signed up for this race due to my very good friend Jenn, who's best friend's almost 4 year old son is fighting Leukemia. You can read all about how awesome he is here
After that we headed into the expo, which was HUGE and crowded and so many things to look at it. I almost abandoned ship a couple times cause the crowds were just too much but we stuck it out and ended up with some good finds. I found a really good fuel belt for the race plus my awesome compression socks . Moe got to meet one of his running idols, Meb Keflezighi and got an autograph copy of his new book . I thought Moe was going to pee in his pants he was so excited.
A quick breakfast and some green tea and we headed out to walk to Petco Stadium where we boarded the bus that was going to take us to the starting line at Balboa Park.
Next up was the important part of waiting in line for the porta potties. There was ALOT of them but there was also over 30,000 people running in the race, so needless to say the line was pretty long.
Once we got thru that we got into our corrals. Moe was suppose to be ahead of me but missed his corral's start time while standing in line so he just waited in mine. Which turned out to be better since we could wait together.
Then before we knew it, it was time to go. With a quick kiss and good luck Moe took off and I started my slow but steady pace. While training for this run I quickly discovered I'm not a runner and knew running a whole race was not for me. However I discovered a a training method by Jeff Galloway. I bought this book and very quickly decided this was the one for me. It's all about the walk/run method. Definitely something I could handle and it also included various exercises and drills to help with things like hills and posture. Like I said earlier I definitely didn't get to do as much training as I would of liked but what I did do really did help.
My goals for this race were pretty simple, to finish within the 4 hour time limit, not throw up, and to have fun. According to my training I was good to finish the race in 3:50. 3:40 at the very best. I started out pretty slow, 5 minutes walking, 30 seconds running. By mile 3 I was averaging a 14 minute pace and still feeling really good. By mile 6 I was still maintaining the 14 minute pace and feeling pretty awesome. And managed to stick with my plan of going to 4 minutes of walking and 30 seconds of running. Around Mile 7 my friend Diana's sister, Stephanie was watching the race with her husband and friends,I was completely shocked to see her there and with a sign for me too. She started yelling "Go Kat!!!!" and her friends started yelling "Go Kat!!" and then the other spectators near by started yelling "Go Kat!!" It was amazing!!! I felt like a rock star and it totally charged me up!!!!
That was one of the best parts of this race, all the spectators. We ran thru the little neighborhoods in San Diego and in all of them there were people yelling and cheering for us. Lots of funny signs to cheer us up. A couple of my favs were "Worse parade ever!" "I don't know you but I believe in you." "That's not sweat, that's liquid awesome" Some of them were even handing out orange slices and bananas, some were spraying us with water to cool us off. One of my favs was the one handing out strips of toilet paper, for us allergy suffers that was much needed. We got cheered on by MC Hammer, Michael Jackson, Drag Queens, cheerleaders, a group of marilyn monroes, and hippies to name a few. There was "official high 5 stations" and a life size R2-D2 going up and down the street. It really made those 13.1 miles just fly by.
Around Mile 9 I went to 3 minutes walking and 30 seconds of running. My back was starting to hurt a little around here and I could feel the soreness starting on the soles of my feet. By Mile 11 my back was at a constant dull ache and I think I jammed one of my toes
But according to my garmin I was set to blast my goal and I was just pumped. Especially since some of other more common running issues hadn't showed up like my shin splints and calf strain.(which I contribute to my pre race stretches and my miracle compression socks) I attempted 2 minutes of walking and 30 seconds of running. And then I saw the mile 12 marker and I pushed it. I was determined to finish the race with my last ounces of energy and running. And when I saw that finish line and the all the people lined up on the sidelines just yelling and cheering, I felt like I flew across that finish line. 3:08:57 was my official time. To say I was excited doesn't even begin to cover it. I felt awesome and powerful and proud and strong and amazing! I never imagined it would feel that good to finish a race.
Moe was waiting for me right as I crossed the finish line. To be able to do this race at all was awesome but to be able to share the experience with Moe and run right into his arms as I crossed the finished line was just more than words could describe.
And for even more good news Moe ended up doing amazing and finishing in 2:29:31!!!!!!! And he did this with pulling a calf muscle around the 4th mile!!! So proud of him!!!!!!!!
I grabbed some chocolate milk and a banana to refuel and a nice cold towel. We took some pictures and grabbed our bag from gear check. Everything was so well organized and all the volunteers were wonderful. I think so many things just added to up to make this the perfect first 1/2 marathon for us.
Next up was the after party in Petco Park, where the Psychedelic Furs were giving a concert Now I have no clue who they are but Moe was pretty pumped to hear them. We grabbed our free celebratory beers and sat down to listen to the music and let our muscles rest.
Moe's calf was doing pretty bad and my body was definitely starting to feel it. But our emotions were still pretty high and adrenaline was still pumping.
Neither one of us really wanted to move but we started to get hungry and felt a few sprinkles so decided it was probably best to leave now since it would be a slow walk back to Latanya's. When we finally got there we both just kind of collapsed on the floor, playing rock paper scissors for who had to get up first and take a shower.
It ended up being Moe who provided Ken and I with an awesome laugh when we heard his cry as he tried to sit down to get undress.
Finally showers were done and now we were starving, Ken told us about a hamburger place with a half bacon half ground meat patty. We drove out there and then had to wait another 45min for our table.In hindsight we probably should of eaten somewhere downtown before showers and not waited so long after the race to eat but we'll call it a rookie mistake. By the time we got our food, I think we were just too tired and too hungry to actually really enjoy it since for us it didn't really live up to our expectations. But it did feel so good to get some calories in us.
After that it was the drive home and to go pick up the kids. And try to keep them from jumping on our sore muscles. Then home to collapsed in bed. The next morning Moe was off but both kids had school. I felt ok when I woke up till my feet hit the floor, yeah I definitely felt that one. Surprisingly my legs were ok most of my pain was in my back, soles and glutes. It was a slow morning and walk to drop them them off then I came home with breakfast for Moe and I. We sat on the couch to eat and watch tv and didn't move from that position till 12:30 when it was time to pick up Joaquin.
Thankfully I had anticipated this and had bought some frozen pizzas and bagged salads to have for an easy dinner.
Tues morning was back to normal with Moe going back to work and both kids in school and me doing my usual errands and chores. We were still kind of sore but nothing too bad at all. Moe was even able to bike to work with no problems.
And even if we were still both in pain we both agreed it was 150% worth it!!!!
I still don't really consider myself a runner and am not sure if I even like running but I like knowing how taking charge of my body and my health feels. And what I am capable of doing. Even now a few days later I am still amazed. I mean last year when I first started training it took me almost an hour to go 3 miles. And I would be in pain for days. And just a few months later I did 13.1 miles in 3 hours and 9minutes!!!! And only took 2 days to be about 90% recovered.
This is definitely a feeling I don't want to go away. I am now more determined than ever to become to healthy and fit and more importantly to be a role model for Isabel and Joaquin.






.jpg)


1 comment:
What a great recap! I am SO proud of you, you did an amazing job. Congrats!
Post a Comment